Thursday, August 28, 2008

Goodbyes are hard


On Tuesday morning, as the sun blazed over the Kaycee hills, spilling onto the prairie, I drove south toward the airport, the Big Horns in my rear view. As ready as I was to get back into a schedule and my own bed, I felt the familiar sadness that accompanies leaving my hometown. Though I haven't lived there for over a decade and I get to visit only way too seldom, it still seems like home to me.
These are my two traveling companions. One of them is old enough to need a fishing license! They liked hearing about my A&W days as a high schooler. This is the A&W at Wheatland.

Here's baby Keegan again. He's just the cutest! It doesn't seem all that long ago that his mother was this size--now she's carting around a new baby and all the responsibilities of adulthood. I'm quite proud of her, in case you can't tell.
I'm pretty proud of how Mariah is growing up, too. Here she is doing crafts with Madison and Makayla. It was her idea to buy the stuff (with money she earned) and take it up to the mountains for the girls. All you had to do was say the word and they were all over her with impish grins, begging to make something else. We all got several pipe cleaner bracelets, made in colors for every occasion. They also had fun making animals and creating inspiring works of art with stickers.Some of you might recognize this place. For those that don't, it's a wonderful restaurant to find breakfast called Pistol Pete's. All over Wyoming, it's expected that the heads of deer, elk, antelope and moose are mounted and displayed on the walls. This creature must have been hunted and captured before I was born.

As for Katie and my Dad, those will have to be blogs for another day. I'm still waiting on some pictures and they are stories of their own. More later!

9 comments:

Celebration of Life said...

That T-Rex head at Pistol Pete's has quite the story. There is a prominent business man in Buffalo that went on a safari. He did not shoot anything so he brought back this T-Rex head (from who knows where) to mount on his livingroom wall. His wife told him that she wasn't going to have that gawdawful thing in her house so he gave it to the owner's of Pistol Pete's because it was the only place big enough that had enough wall space. You just never know what you are going to find on the walls of Wyoming people! LOL

Lynetta said...

LOL-I didn't know that story, Jo, but it's funny. I can't say that I blame the wife. My reaction would have been the same :-)Hmmm... that only leaves me to wonder who the prominent businessman was.

Velvet Ginger said...

Those are all really good pics! I recognize that Dinosaur!!!

A.Bananna said...

alexa would love your girls! she loves crafts. Mariah has such a HUGE heart. she is always thinking of other people. Katie is such a sweet girl aslo. you have done a wonderful job with them!!

I love you!!

Ellie Creek Ellis said...

yes, lynetta you have beautiful girls. sorry the timing didn't work out and i couldn't see you guys. love you oodles!

M&M FAMILY said...

Its was so nice too see you .And yes you have done very well with the girls they are wonderful.Madison and Makayla miss the very much. I hope you had a good vacation .Did katie get new glasses?

Tammy Bowers said...

I wondered what it was. Glad Jo explained.

And I am glad you are home, Lynetta. I miss our critique group.

Velvet Ginger said...

I just wanted to come back and look at the girls again. You are so blessed! That sunset is pretty too! Love you!

A.Bananna said...

You must be busy! LOL. How is school going this year?? are you still home schooling??