Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A funny thing happened on the way to the petting zoo

"You can't feed an elk with your hands; they won't let you get close." I said in the car, hoping to end the discussion-turning-argument between my daughters in the back seat.
"Maybe in captivity,"Doug interjected.
"No," I corrected my husband. "Even the ones in the park in Sheridan won't let you get close. They're still wild." There, that did it. Darwin E. Creek's granddaughter knows about these things.

Right?




Um, no. Apparently not. This is Buddy. He's a 12 year old elk that wandered in a couple years ago. All of his girlfriends were up the hill with their babies on this sweltering Memorial Day weekend. He licked the corn out of my hands but turned up his nose at the pressed oats. This was after a shower from a garden hose held by a zoo worker. I have to admit, he was sorta sweet. What's next, a reindeer? Sheesh!!


FYI, reindeer like apples, not the carrots my Dad used to have me leave out with Santa's cookies. Makes me wonder who did eat the carrots. Easter bunny, maybe?

6 comments:

Ellie Creek Ellis said...

lol looks like you guys had fun!

i remember sitting on the hay wagon out at the muddy creek feed ground. the young and the wounded came in first and then the cows then the bulls. and they knew dad...i remember seeing him feed them...hay right out of his hand.

he was no ordinary man!

Velvet Ginger said...

Sooooooooooo dang cute!!! So glad you guys got to do that...wonderful for the kids!
It was horse cake also that he fed the lame elk ... right out of his hand.
Wonderful day Deeta!!!

Celebration of Life said...

One year at Soda Lake Feedground, the G&F feeder broke his leg so us older girls took turns feeding the elk from the sliegh. After a few times the cows that came to the sled would eat out of Beckie's and my hands. I remember Dad saying, "You might not appreciate this now, but someday you will understand how unique this is."

Lynetta said...

Wow, that's all a bit of family history I did not know. I do remember driving the sleigh for my dad in my red snowsuit, but haven't the foggiest idea where. They are beautiful creatures, though. Majestic and wild and gentle, all at the same time. Thanks for adding your memories!

A.Bananna said...

wow that looks fun! :) it is always fun to have the kids experience those kinds of things!

Velvet Ginger said...

Lots of fun...and good memries...we are full of information for you Lynetta whether you want it or not huh?? hehe
good add on Jo