Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ode to My Aunt Rubye


Okay, it's not really classical poetry. But I'm not a classical poet. It's January, I'm bogged down with work and have very little creativity left in my brain at the end of the day. But she wants a new post, so what can you do? (Remember I don't claim to be a poet!)

So...here goes:


Assiduous. That's a fancy word for hardworking.
Unwavering. She is one of the strongest women I know. Most others would have broken by now.
Naughty. In a really fun way! I got her as a babysitter when I was a child and she likes to break the rules a little.
Toot doot! Not that she would admit it, but still...I think her sisters and my cousins would agree with me.

Relishes time with her grandchildren--just like her mother.
Understands what it means to sacrifice for her kids and grandkids.
Bighearted. She's always doing stuff and helping people. She's got a tender heart for her family.
Yellow daffodils make her smile. One of the many flowers in her beautiful garden. She's definitely got the gift of a green thumb.
Entertaining. She loves to engage in silliness that results in pee-your-pants laughing. Once she used three of my naked, shabby old plastic dolls as puppets in her own rendition of "We are Family." If you're not old enough to remember that song, be thankful.

Note from the Library Guild: No actual thesauruses were harmed in the writing of this post.

9 comments:

Velvet Ginger said...

WOW!!!! IT's all aobut ME! lol
{blushing}
Thank you My Deeta!
I am not sure I am worthy but thank you for your kind words, I can never live up to Mom's standards but she was certaily a wonderful example to follow.
Love You!!!!

Ellie Creek Ellis said...

lol wow deeta, i didn't know the story about the 3 dolls!

this is great and for a woman who truly deserves recognition!

love you deeta!

Celebration of Life said...

Very nice, Lynetta. I guess I should nag you more about your blog! LOL All of the things you said about RJ are so true. She is a delightful sister and friend!

Lynetta said...

E- if memory serves me correctly, you were there too, following along and holding one of the dolls. (She had one in each hand). I could be wrong, though--that was awhile ago! (In the Desmet St. house).

Love you guys too!

Tammy Bowers said...

Sometimes your wittiness amazed me, Lynetta...no thesauruses were harmed. You always make me laugh.

lolly said...

Sure. Go ahead and make the rest of us cousins look bad! :o) I guess now we have to blog about our aunts too? It's a great "Ode" to aunt Woobee! Love ya!

Velvet Ginger said...

LOL@what lolly said!
You are RIGHT Lynetta about Ellie participating, she was alwways right in there with our Barbie antics!
Ok, now it's time time time to take me off of here for goodnesss sakes!!!
LOVE YOU DEETA!

Velvet Ginger said...

Saying HI love you!
Now post something else please lol!

A.Bananna said...

This is a very sweet post! :) hope all is well! Love yah!